The State Handicraft Committee runs their annual competition to showcase the best work in a range of categories. The Committee also runs classes throughout the year which are open to members and non members. Information can be found in the journal.
State Handicraft Exhibition Schedule
State Handicraft Exhibition—General Competition Rules 19/20.
State judging at State Conference 2020. Check with your branch for branch and group judging dates.
ONLY OFFICIAL entry forms must accompany the articles and are to be filled in clearly as articles are separated when judging takes place. It helps the Committee when writing out place cards. ALL articles being sent for State Judging must be labelled with a STATE LABEL and must only have the folded tag showing the person’s NAME, BRANCH and GROUP (in Black) on the INSIDE of the tag and the SECTION ENTERED (in BLACK) on the FRONT of the tag. All labels and strands MUST be attached to ALL knitting and crochet.
Each finished article must have been completed within (2) TWO YEARS of the current State Exhibition. Soiled work WILL NOT be accepted. Finish is important.
Each exhibit must be the work of the Exhibitor. Work which has been exhibited in any Section at a previous State Exhibition is NOT eligible again.
MAXIMUM SIZE of any FRAMED WORK must not exceed 50 cm x 40 cm including frame and must be in a PADDED FABRIC BAG with Name, Branch and Group attached.
MAXIMUM SIZE for QUILTS is 220cm x 220cm.
MAXIMUM DIMENSION of Dolls, Toys and Bears must not exceed 51 cm.
Handicraft Officers are advised that articles are insured from when selected at Group Judging until returned to their owner after Conference.
Each Group to enter eight different techniques (if possible) for Section 1 which MUST include at least 1 garment article of knitting/crochet in PURE WOOL but not more than 2.
Each exhibitor in the Group Competition must be a financial member of CWA.
Prizes are as follows:
1st—Highest Point Score—$100 2nd—Highest Point Score—$60 3rd—Highest Point Score—$40.
Champion piece of work—$50.
10 Special Prizes of $30 will be awarded to the 10 most outstanding different crafts from Section 1.
Eight articles of any Handicraft Technique excluding pottery and scrapbooking.
Mosaics, maximum size 30cm x 30cm
MUST be at least 1 garment/article of pure wool in knitting or crochet but not more than 2.
Bonus points will be given for Groups entering seven different techniques in this section.
All prizes in Classes A, B, C, D, E & F donated by the Handicraft Committee
Class: B1, B2 and B3—these classes are open to all Juniors, both male and female, residing in NSW. Age must accompany the article. Age as at 1st May.
Class A: Garment or article of any craft made by a Member 80 years of age or over. Prizes 1st—$30, 2nd—$20, 3rd—$10
Class B1: Any article of craft (commercial quilting allowed) made by a junior 8 years and under. Prizes: 1st—$20, 2nd—$10, 3rd—$5.
Class B2: Any article of craft (commercial quilting allowed) made by a junior 9 to 12 years of age. Prizes 1st—$20, 2nd—$10, 3rd—$5.
Class B3: Any article of craft (commercial quilting allowed) made by a junior 13 to 18 years of age. Prizes 1st—$20, 2nd—$10, 3rd—$5.
Class C : Branch Challenge—4 Aprons—to have the input of 4 different members of the one Branch Prizes 1st—$30, 2nd—20, 3rd—$10
Class D: Machine quilted quilt by maker. Maximum size 220cm x 220cm Prices 1st—$30, 2nd—20, 3rd—$10
Class E: Article of any craft made by a male relative of a CWA Member Max. size 30cm x 30cm. Prizes 1st—$30, 2nd—20, 3rd—$10
Class F: Quilt. COMMERCIALLY QUILTED. Maximum size 220 cm x 220 cm. Prizes 1st—$30, 2nd—$20, 3rd—$10.
Prizes donated by Handicraft Committee.
The Land Section
First and Second prizes will be awarded in each section by The Land Newspaper.
Prizes 1st—$30, 2nd—$15. Champion piece of work $50.
The Competition is open to all residents of NSW.
All articles using Natural Fibres must have 70% Natural Fibre content unless otherwise stated. (Labels and/or strands MUST be attached)
1. Knee or Cot Rug using commercial Natural Fibres—Crochet max 150 cm x 150 cm
2. Knee or Cot Rug using commercial natural fibres—knitted maximum size 150cm x 150cm.
3. Knee or Cot rug, using natural fibres, sewn Maximum size 150cm x 150cm
4. Hand woven garment or article from Natural Fibres.
5. Hand knitted Socks from Natural Fibres.
6. Hand knitted or Hand Crochet Childs Garment from Commercial Natural Fibres. (NOT baby wear).
7. Hand knitted garment or article from Commercial Natural Fibres. 5 ply or finer. (not baby wear & not socks).
8. Hand knitted garment or article from Commercial Natural Fibres 6 ply or thicker. (not baby wear & not socks).
9. Embroidered knitted garment or article from Commercial Natural Fibres.
10. Hand Knitted garment or article from Hand Spun Natural Fibres.
11. Machine knitted garment or article from Natural Fibres.
12. Hand crochet garment or article from Commercial Natural Fibres (not baby wear).
13. Hand Crochet or Tatting. Garment or article from Mercerized Cotton.
14. Hand crochet garment or article from Hand Spun Natural Fibre.
15. Hand knitted Baby Outfit—2 pieces—Pure Wool (one piece must be a garment).
16. Hand crochet Baby Outfit—2 pieces—Pure Wool (one piece must be a garment).
17. Dressmaking—Garment made from Mixed Fibres.
18. Dressmaking—Garment made from Natural Fibres.
19 Felted Article or garment.
20. Novice—Using any natural fibre any technique (not previously won a prize in Handicraft and/or Land Sections at state).
Download a printable PDF of the Schedule below
Download the Branch and Group Entry form for 20/21 below
Branch and Group Entry form with The Land Section filled in